Saturday, June 28, 2014

Patterns - Get Organized!

I must admit I've never given this issue a lot of thought because, frankly, I don't have a lot of patterns.  At least I didn't think about it until I came across this site.  If you have a disorganized box(es) or patterns, can never find the pattern when you need it, or patterns with no specific home and are needing a solution, follow the link.
http://www.coletterie.com/peeks-in-the-studio/how-to-organize-a-mountain-of-sewing-patterns-with-your-phone

I believe small cardboard 'pattern boxes' are available on the market.  These are a standardized size and a good solution.  I would probably search for plastic see-thru boxes in a size that would accommodate the patterns.  I am always in favor of clear storage for the obvious reason that you can readily see what you have available.  Labeling is also valuable when it comes to organizing.

If I buy a specific pattern along with materials, trims and supplies for an item I definitely plan to make in the near future, I would probably keep it all together in a bag or 'project box' so that I wouldn't have to gather everything together again.

I also might consider storing patterns in a notebook or notebooks, depending how many you have, keeping them in the plastic sheet protectors.  If you have a lot of patterns a file cabinet may be your best solution.

Keeping a tally/inventory as to what patterns you already own can be achieved through modern technology as addressed at the link above.

What method do you have for storing patterns?  How would/do you sort patterns?  I'm curious to know what you have found that works for you...or doesn't work?


6 comments:

deanna7trees said...

i used to make all of my own clothes many moons ago and had gobs of patterns that i kept in cardboard storage boxes. when i stopped sewing my own clothing, i got rid of most of my patterns so only have a few that have been purchased within the past few years and they are mostly all in a cardboard box sitting on a shelf. i just looked up at the box and there are a few alongside that will not fit in the box. that tells me it's time to go through them and get rid of some.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Sounds like you had it figured out. I used to sew all my kids' clothes (also many moons ago) when it was economical to do so. It is pretty costly anymore to make your own clothing and unless you get the patterns at a sale price they are unbelievably costly. What did you do with your discarded patterns? I have seen the tissue patterns decoupaged onto dress forms, walls, floors, lampshades, baskets etc. which is a fun way to use them. I like your idea of getting rid of some if they don't fit in an area used to store them. Thanks for sharing!

deanna7trees said...

i shared them with friends and gave the rest to Goodwill. it's funny because a few weeks ago i made a piece where i needed pattern paper and i bought a cheap pattern at Goodwill. you can see the piece here incorporated with stitch and fabric.. http://eclectic-meanderings.blogspot.com/2014/05/a-science-experiment-is-finished.html

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I don't have very many commercial patterns and what I have easily fit into just one of the cardboard boxes sold at the fabric shops for that purpose. We won't mention though how many embroidery patterns I have!!!

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Deanna, the project you used the paper in is wonderful! I really, really admire it.

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

I don't have many sewing patterns either MaryAnn. I do have a lot of books. How do you store your embroidery patterns?