Saturday, January 5, 2013

Still Here...

I'm still here.  The end of the year gets so busy as we approach the holidays and that is where I have been.  Since the beginning of the year I have been going through articles and pictures pulled from magazines and the Internet and purging those I must now admit I would never get to anyway.  There is just something about the beginning of a brand new year and the longing for a fresh start on just about everything.  The gyms are full of people wanting to start the year off right by getting in shape.  Weight loss organizations have those wanting to lose weight signing up.  There is also a desire to declutter or simplify parts of your home and your life.  I am among the sheep.  I start watching what I eat, working out more and sorting through piles long neglected.


I know the photo above looks like no big fantastic deal, but to me this is huge!  I reorganized my sewing room/office earlier in 2012 and have much of it the way I want it.  This photo is the top shelf of one of my bookcases.  Yes, this is the after photo~lol!  Before it was solid stacks of papers stuffed bottom of shelf and clear to the top and crammed side to side.  There was no way I could ever locate what I wanted (without an avalanche); even if I knew which of the three piles it was in and the general area of that pile it would take too much time and effort to bother.  Some of you know exactly what I am talking about don't you *smile*.  In my after shot (yes, I'm sure that is the after shot~sigh) you can see I threw out a lot of the papers and now have smaller groups sorted into plastic boxes for now.  I have separated mine by beading, fabric ideas, craft ideas I want to try and, of course, miscellaneous.  The papers not in a box yet are thoughts, ideas and notes I have put together for a book on organizing which I have wanted to write.  I actually did write one but find myself re-writing and over thinking everything I have written.  I then set it aside to look at later but could never find it until I was out of time or out of the mood.  Now I know just where to look.  The notebook in the center has some of my papers for projects I am especially eager to try.  Notebooks with sheet protectors are another great way to store ideas as they look neat on the shelf, protect the tear sheets and are easy to grab and to browse through when you are in need of some inspiration, instruction or ideas.


I have already shared this shelf, but it is one of my favorites.  It is a drying rack that I have painted and stained to go in my sewing room above the sewing machine.  The spice jars on top hold my collection of buttons which are sorted by color.  The racks extend out to accompany a lot of lace trims.  It recedes compactly when not in use.  I normally keep my stitching sample tags from TAST on the hooks along the bottom, but had them down to use when I took this photo.  I love having supplies out where I can see them so I know what I have, don't you.  It also inspires me when I have them in clear view.

I suppose this isn't really exciting to anyone but me since I didn't show you any photos of eye candy such as a luxurious room or storage unit.  I guess the idea I am trying to get across is to not get overwhelmed thinking you have to organize and clean an entire studio or any room at once.  Categorize items and maybe go back later to sort through and purge, but keep like items together.  Approach one area such as a drawer or shelf.  You will get to each when the time allows or when you are in the mood.  It took me awhile, but I am so happy with my little shelf now that I know I can find what I need when I need it. 

I hope your new year is off to a fantastic start!

3 comments:

Createology said...

Thank you Connie for realizing there are some of us who do get overwhelmed with the idea of organizing. I like your way of tackling one little drawer or shelf or area and working on it. I too have piles of paper ephemera that I must sort and de-clutter. One stack at a time is doable. Blessings with Peace and Joy for all of 2013...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Paper - the bane of my existence! I was pawing through my storage container of ephemera a couple of days ago and muttering all the while about why on earth I keep all those little bits of 'stuff' that I know full well I am very unlikely to ever use. Seeing this has given me the incentive to go through it again and weed it down to something far more manageable. Thanks (I think!).

Maddie Can Fly said...

Thank you for the idea of the drying rack. I have a wall where I think my old rack would fit nicely. I'm thinking it would be good to hold my BOM's while I am working on them.