Sunday, June 24, 2012

Starting the Process

Finally!  As you may or may not recall (since it has been such a long time) I have been on a search for a couple of dressers to use in my sewing room/office.  I finally found one at a garage sale and one is a dresser I had when I was a kid.  The latter was showing many years of neglect so I had to do a little structural repair.  It is maple and has a Formica top.  I'm hoping through the use of a primer the paint will stick to the surface.  So far so good.

The other dresser is a heavier wood of some sort and is built really well.  It has a really heavy coat of gloss paint on it and the brush strokes and drip marks are pretty bad.  I have sanded, primed, sanded again and painted one coat on them so far.  One more sanding with really fine steal wool and another coat of paint and maybe a sealer before I will be able to share the after photos.







Have any of you that may have taken on a project like this used a sealer over the paint?  I can ask the store clerk for advice also, but I value the advice of those who have tried it.  I'm also undecided as to what I will do about the drawer pulls.  Ideas?  I am trying to keep this project on a low budget but also want results I can be proud of.  I have considered spray painting the pulls or even decoupage.  I need to somehow coordinate them at least since they are so opposite each other.  What do you think?






I am really hoping these will have room for what I need to store in them.  I hate to part with things because "I may need them some day".  I know that is not the way to be truly organized, but as soon as I get rid of something I have the perfect use for it!  Does that ever happen to any of you?  Come on now, I'm sure I'm not alone in that thinking.

I am so excited to get these completed and put them to use!

2 comments:

Faye said...

I love the makeover!!! I need to do the same thing as I have 2 old dressers I'm using in my craft room that remain the yukky brown.... Oh, and I'd definitely hold on to the leftover hardware.... You'll be glad you did!!

Always, Faye

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My cutting table has a metal top and wouldn't hold onto paint no matter what I did - my final resort was to cover the top with peel & stick tiles - works great and easily washable too. As for the pulls - if you like the look of the gold ones, what if you painted the others to semi-match, at least in colour. Perhaps a bit of antiquing over the paint to soften the look? They're all so pretty and definitely worth keeping.