Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Remember To Balance!





I know, that is a silly title. I have made a fundamental discovery through trial and error (which in my opinion is the best way to learn). As you know, I recently did some more organizing in my office/new sewing room. These are photos of the office 'before' I moved most of the items to my other studio and 'before' I got so heavy into different types of stitching.





This is a 'before' photo of things piled on the floor because I thought I didn't have enough storage...which I didn't. However, what I am realizing I also was lacking is work surface! The photo above is a look that is quickly returning to my new sewing/office space. Things are getting piled on the floor! Why? Because I have not added work surface space along with my storage.



I currently have two options with my space now: (1) work on the floor, or (2) work at the dining room table. Neither is a great solution. I am looking for a unit or components for my storage wall and when I have found that I will share new photos. Basically, my computer and office equipment/supplies are going to be moved into the closet area and a wall in my room is going to contain supplies and have an actual surface to work on. How could I have overlooked such an obvious requirement?



This is definitely something to consider and think about if you happen to be wondering why everything is accumulating into stacks on your studio floor. Are you lacking enough storage space for your supplies and equipment or is it actually insufficient display or work surface areas? I guess I should add another possibility to this that it might be a matter of storage space that is not easily accessed or convenient to use. It is a balancing act!


LINK and a QUOTE:



Donna shares a little re-organizing experience with you on her blog:
http://www.donnadidit.net/2011/10/organizing-studio.html

Quote in Cloth-Paper-Scissors newsletter by William Morris: “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.” Try replacing the word ‘house’ with the word ‘studio’.


2 comments:

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

Hi Connie!

Do you Pinterest? It's a wonderful way to check out creative spaces and storage solutions!

Ha ha, I don't think we'll ever have enough storage space. As soon as we have everything organized we seem to acquire even MORE STUFF, LOL

xxoo
Marsha

Mosaic Magpie said...

It is not a balancing act for me...well maybe it is. I need to get rid of, before I bring in...I guess that is a balance!
Deb