Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thrift Store Find - Portable Bead Kit

One really nice thing about bead weaving with tiny seed beads is the small amount of room they take. This is a small tin that measures only 3 3/4" x 5" x 1 1/4" H with the lid on. I found it at a thrift store for under a dollar and use it all the time.

Below is a peak inside showing one of my current beading projects. As you can see, it easily holds my beads, thread and work in progress. I also carry a small pair of scissors and a mini pliers (for when the needle just won't pull through. A copy of my pattern is folded and kept in the bottom in case I need to refer to it. The glass vials are expired vials used to hold blood that is drawn. The stoppers are rubber and hold securely.


I keep a small square magnet on the inside of the lid. As shown below, it is used to hold my needle in place so I can find it easily. This also helps keep the thread from slipping out of the needle.

I take this tin with me on trips in the car or anywhere else I know I am going to have an opportunity to get a few minutes beading time in. I pour some of the beads into the lid so they are easy to get on my needle. Maybe a few of these could store your works in progress? The small tins could be useful to hold so many things in your studio and they are so pretty! I think they would work really well for Artist's Trading Cards especially. I would love to hear what purpose you could find for them.

No comments: